Monday 7 May 2018


It is a very long time since I blogged but I thought that, for those who are interested, you might like to hear about my pretend holiday.  If you haven't visited my blog before then please feel free to have a wander but bear in mind that a lot of the stuff on here is very old now!

I arrived at the hotel late on Monday afternoon. The journey was very easy, in fact it seemed like it took no time at all.
My room is pleasant and tastefully decorated with lots of interesting objects d’art to amuse me.  There is a private bathroom and sitting room for my exclusive use as well as the communal lounge, although the place seems very quiet at the moment, the only other guest that I have met so far is a very pleasant old gentleman who spends most of his time sitting in the most comfortable chair in the lounge, dozing or reading a book
For my evening meal I chose the “jambon froid avec une melange des legumes frites”, followed by “casserole des pommes” which had been flavoured with the dried flower buds of an Indonesian tree. It lived up to expectations. I noticed that the elderly gentleman chose the same.
In the evening I went to the local cinema and saw a film called Red Planet which was pretty good. On my return I went to my room and read. At the moment I am reading Babylon Berlin by Volker Kutscher, not the most restful tale to end the day but I am keen to know what happens next!
TUESDAY
I woke early, feeling well rested and to bright sunshine, a big change from yesterday. I had toast for breakfast but this was no ordinary toast! The bread was a sour cherry and chocolate bread and seriously delicious.
In the morning I visited a local town. There were some very interesting  shops, including a real old fashioned hardware store. Looking above the shop fronts to the first and second stories was very rewarding.
There is a river front walk and several inviting places to eat but as I had noticed that scampi with chips and salad were on this evenings menu I restrained myself and settled for a ploughman’s lunch back at the hotel.  Even this had a surprise, in that the pickled onions were flavoured with cardamom and star anise and very good they were too!
My ramblings did make me feel quite tired so, after a post prandial snooze, I read for much of the afternoon (this hotel has a substantial library) and enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine with my evening meal. No dessert, too many chips!
But I did indulge in some more wine and nibbles in the bar later after attending a very interesting lecture about the cathedrals at Salisbury and Durham.  Slight upset at the hotel, housekeeping had not made my bed.
WEDNESDAY
Wednesday was a bit of a wash out. Had a fibromyalgia flare and back spasm so my plans had to be put on hold. Lovely dinner, avocado and bacon salad. The old gentleman had the kedgeree. I spent some time in the lounge with him and he told me his name is George.
THURSDAY
The groundswoman was working in the spacious and lovely garden so I chatted to her for a while.  She is planting up some bushes in a corner and clearing turf in a couple of other places.  I would have liked to have given her a hand but didn’t dare upset my back so I arranged a cup of tea for her.
I had avocado toast for lunch. I think the kitchen had some left over from last night
In the afternoon I visited a local RSPCA sanctuary and, as I am a qualified cat whisperer, I was able to spend some time in the feline department. A cat called Rosie jumped on my back as soon as I entered her apartment. She was so excited to see me that she nearly knocked my glasses off!
For my evening meal I had a potato and onion tortilla with a big salad followed by strawberries and cream. George was delighted that one of his favourites was on the menu - quiche and greens.
We discovered that there was a programme on the television that we both wanted to watch so we sat in the lounge together. He is a very nice old gentleman.
FRIDAY
Unfortunately I had to return home to attend to grass cutting and other household chores that could not be left. It was a pleasant day however and I was back at the hotel by dinner time.  Sushi. Yum. More strawberries and cream. Yum yum.
SATURDAY
Spent some time reading, strolling in the extensive and beautiful gardens and browsing the catalogue of the local auction house. Hoisin duck wrap for lunch, salmon with preserved lemon, croquettes and broccoli for dinner. 
George and I watched television in the lounge in the evening. I’m rather taken with George.
SUNDAY
I went out early to get George a newspaper and then had coffee with him before going to a particular interesting church service where a young couple who work in Rwanda at a hospital talked about their work. If you would like to know more click here
On the way back to the hotel I passed a procession of vintage and veteran motor vehicles. Lots and lots of people were standing or sitting by the road watching them pass.
After a very pleasant ploughman’s lunch I finished the book I was reading.
After dinner ( chicken in white wine sauce, rice and greens, followed by salted caramel profiteroles) I spent some time on the Babylon 5 space station courtesy of the DVD plyer in my room.
MONDAY
Up with the lark to visit a strange traditional gathering known as a Carbutsell. The locals gather in a field with their cars and sell stuff they don’t want to people who don’t need it. I suspect that at the next gathering the same stuff changes hands again. I did join in, just to placate the natives, by buying some beads and a jewellery box.
Lunch was venison sausage sandwiches.  The weather was very hot so I read quite a bit in the afternoon. Unfortunately I never did manage to visit the various art and craft workshops that I had intended.  Maybe I will come here again and do that another time. The "holiday" was a qualified success. George came home with me.
The "holiday" was a qualified success. George came home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment