Monday 24 August 2009

A walk in the woods


I went for an early walk this morning. Although there is something slightly autumnal about the quality of the light the air is still warm and before long the sun became almost too hot. Trees look parched and are changing colour already in some places but not golden, just brown. Three blue tits came to my birdfeeder which was good as I don't see many birds in the garden here. Where I used to live we had lots, maybe 30 sparrows at a time, little hooligans but fun to watch, chaff-, gold- and green- finches, blue-, great-, long tailed-, coal- and marsh- tits, robins and blackbirds of course and the occasional pheasant plus the idiot black cockerel from across the road (called Gary?!) Here it's mostly magpies starlings and crows plus pompous pigeons but we have had some others, just not very often.
This place has it's compensations though. I can walk through pretty woods less than 100 yards from my front door and along cycle tracks away from the traffic and which follow old farm tracks so there are wonderful old hedgerows along the way. I'll be blackberrying soon and hunting for the sloes I saw earlier in the year.
Of course, as it's Monday I will be doing the laundry and shopping and house work type things but we can forget all that for now.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous photo! Blog is looking really good already, keep it up!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, it's nice to know that people are reading!
    And your french is really not bad!
    *****
    Seems really like a nice place for walk, you're lucky!

    ReplyDelete