Wednesday 27 March 2013

Not about the diet


Yesterday was a cooking day.  Some of you will know that I regularly cook up casseroles and stews in large quantities so that I can take full advantage of the oven being on, freeze up individual portions of things for my mum to put in the microwave and double portions for us too.  I made a chicken curry first.  This is my own very quick and simple recipe – foodies look away now as it uses both curry powder and stock cubes.  First, decide how many portions you want to make and then assemble enough chicken, chopped, about half an onion and a carrot per portion, 3 or 4 unsulphured dried apricots per portion and as much curry powder as you might usually use of whatever strength you prefer.  I use a heaped teaspoon per 2 portions of Tesco’s mild.  Fry the onion off, add the chicken and the curry powder and give it a good stir to coat the chicken, then add the carrots, the apricots, chopped small, enough water to stop it boiling dry and one, or if more than about 8 portions, 2, Beef Oxo cubes.  Yes, I did say beef.  Simmer, keeping an eye on the fluid level for about ¾ of an hour on the hob, covered, or about an hour or so at 180 C in the oven

Then I did a beef casserole, skirt, onions, carrots, mushrooms and red wine, with bay leaf and a little bit of cinnamon, or some juniper berries.  I left the mushrooms whole as they will be separated from the rest and made into a chunky low calorie pasta sauce for me when OH has  tomato sauce and cheese on his.  As I was taking him to the dentist in the afternoon I put that in the oven on the timer and we had some for our dinner.  I shall try to have a fasting day today.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment